The check is in the mail.
We extended the dithering as long as we could (well, maybe we could have waited until Friday and express mailed it).
But we did give it extra time for considering all the pluses and minuses.
And I think we can say we've looked at this decision to the point of madness.
Pretty much Sair has been decided ever since she first got their letter, but we had to work around to all three of us being on the same page.
And I think we are now.
But it's still painful.
Financially, it will be hard.
We've got offers of loans (yeah), but I think we can pull it off without massive debt.
It's still a scary proposition.
And of course for Berkeley we would be paying in-state tuition.
And she could stay home, or at least, near home.
And UCB is nothing to sneeze at.
Which is part of why it's hard.
But also, I really loved going to Berkeley.
I had dropped out of college back east, and moved out here and was working on the campus, and then I snuck back into school through the back door.
First some "employee development" courses (of course I'll be a better secretary for taking Latin….), then I got admitted formally, and started going to school half-time, and still working until finally I got my M.A. and starting teaching.
But Sair wouldn't be going to my Berkeley.
That was thirty years ago.
The professors I worked with are almost entirely long gone, and only the buildings are the same.
Besides, for me Berkeley was an adventure, while for Sair Berkeley is just home, the campus is in her back yard, and the cultural goodies of the bay area are what she grew up with.
I think she'll always want to be coming back here, but I think she needs more of the world now than this
So she's going to be going off to London (!) for her freshman year, and after that New York.
I'm telling myself firmly that once a place isn't near, everywhere faraway is just as far.
New York, London, it is all just not here.
So let's see how calm I am in August.