I got a meme (from Crom74) — 8 random facts/habits.
Then I choose 8 people to tag (join us…….) and list them.
So, 8 random facts (habits?).
1. I didn't learn to drive until I was 35. Then I had to learn immediately, on a stick shift, in order to drive out to Marin county to help out my aunt. Which meant driving on a freeway, and it was one they were still building at that point that detoured in a terrifying and complex way. And I had to drive back at night. With trucks.
2. Every night I read out loud to my kid. This started when she was a baby, and has never stopped. The cats really like t, and I usually collect at least two in the bed while I read, but when I turn out the light they wander off.
1. The only time my hair has been professionally cut was when I was
twelve. My mother's hair dresser volunteered to trim my hair and cut
off six inches. Never been back. Every now and then I hack off the ends
a bit to even them out.
No, not really. This looks more like my kid who's never cut her hair.
4. I've never owned a new car. I've never even bought a car that was made in the same decade that I bought it. Then I drive it until it falls apart. My volvo's at 350K. We're discussing maybe getting a hybrid next — by the time we do this probably we'll be able to find one sufficiently used. I'm looking forward to a cup holder.
5. My father was from Mississippi; my mother was from Wisconsin; and when I was a little kid a family friend from Rhode Island lived in our house for over a year. Everybody's English was different. Then I grew up in Maryland, which was none-of-the-above. It's not so much that I have any one accent, more that my vowels are just all over the map. Some words I have two, or even three ways of saying. It's all smudged together.
So when I took the What kind of American English Do You Speak quiz,
I ended up just giving up in frustration.There were always too many answers: sometimes it's a cellar, sometimes it's a basement; it's soda, it's pop, and it's a coke, and it's sodapop too; it's icing and it's frosting; and so on.
6. I can put myself to sleep any time, any place. This began as a migraine cure: I used to have simply terrible ones as a teenager. After I threw up (that bad), I'd put myself to sleep and whenever I woke up it would be gone. Comes in handy. I also always wake up completely in the middle of the night.
7. I check out the thrift store every week during my kid's winds ensemble (7-9:15pm). Great finds! I may never buy new clothing again.
8. I still have to figure out what I want to do when I grow up.
So now I'm supposed to tag either people.
I'll try, but probably everyone's already done this.
So if you've done it, or if you just hate these things, don't hate me, I'm just the messenger. (Sure.)